[cfe-dev] [RFC] implementation of _Float16

Hubert Tong via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 16 06:09:52 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 5:35 AM, Martin J. O'Riordan <
martin.oriordan at movidius.com> wrote:

> Of course, there is the inconsistency that ‘short float’ is not promoted
> to ‘double’ to perform arithmetic which is at variance with how ‘float’
> is handled (though I do promote it to ‘double’ for passing as an argument
> to variadic functions such as ‘printf’).

My understanding is that `float' arithmetic operations do not necessarily
occur in the range and precision of `double'. In particular, the usual
arithmetic conversions admit `float' as a result. My guess is that
FLT_EVAL_METHOD would be a factor to consider for consistency.