[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Emitting empty invariant group for vtable loads

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 25 16:11:02 PST 2017

On 01/25/2017 06:05 PM, Piotr Padlewski wrote:

> <mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>>:
>
>     Hi Piotr,
>
>     I think makes sense. Modulo bitcasts, the invariant is identified
>     by a particular pointer SSA value. Given that you can't sensibly
>     have two nonequivalent invariants associated with the same pointer
>     SSA value simultaneously, there's no need to also identify the
>     invariant with a metadata string as well. When we need a new
>     "identifier" for the pointed-to value, we get one using
>     invariant.group.barrier.
>
>      -Hal
>
> What is your opinion about changing invariant.group to just invariant?

You mean changing !invariant.group -> !invariant and changing
@llvm.invariant.group.barrier to @llvm.invariant.barrier? I don't have a
strong opinion, but I'm inclined to leave it as-is (saying "group"
implies that there might be things outside the group, which is true in
this case).

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel