[cfe-dev] [Modules TS] Have the file formats been decided?

Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 22 02:25:15 PST 2017

Sean Silva via cfe-dev wrote:

> Explicit module maps (and the associated notion of explicit build steps to
> build the .pcm files) provides the primitive mechanism which enables
> robust integration of modules into build systems and all sorts of
> flexibility. However, simply having the mechanism available does not
> directly solve the issue linked in that bug or many related issues, which
> are largely social / historical issues.

Social/historical issues are difficult to solve (how something is
communicated might have to change - not just how the thing is implemented),
and still can have an effect on adoption. I don't know what the 'developer
story' is apart from 'wait for all of your dependencies to update with
modules support and wait for each buildsystem of your dependency to be
compatible with all the others for creating and consuming modules and then
you can start using modules'.

I realize this goes beyond Clang and the ModulesTS has buildsystem issues
too...

Thanks,

Steve.