[cfe-dev] Issues with https://reviews.llvm.org/D26082

Jonathan Coe via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 13 06:46:45 PST 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 10:53, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:

> On 12 January 2017 at 20:52, Jonathan Coe via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Issues have been reported in https://reviews.llvm.org/D26082 which I
> have
> > locally reproduced.
> >
> > What's the best course of action?
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> This is before we branched, so whatever action we take need to be
> back-ported to the 4.0 branch.
>
> Adding Hans FYI.
>

> > I can revert the change until problems are fixed. I don't think
> libclang's
> > Python bindings tests get run as part of CI.
>
> Is this affecting buildbots or some kind of external CI?

I've not seen any failures due to this, I don't think python tests get run.

> It seems to me that we should test Python's bindings as a standard CI
> run, if they're added in Clang in any way.

Sounds like a good idea, I'd be keen to be involved with this.

> I'm not proposing running Python itself, as that can be hard to match
> system expectations, but some kind of unit test to make sure the
> bindings are correct on all supported versions of Python would go a
> long way of avoiding this scenario in the future.
>
> As to revert vs. not revert, it depends on what's broken and how quick
> is the fix. The questions I always ask myself are:
>
> 1. Is the breakage stopping any CI look from reporting further bugs?
> This also depends on how often the CI loop runs and how much relies on
> it.
> 2. Is there someone looking at the problem? If no, then reverting it
> the *only* course of action. If yes, we'll need time-frames for a
> possible fix before deciding to revert.

I'm not confident that I can patch this quickly.

> If we hadn't crossed the branch barrier, I'd be all for reverting it.
> But we have. So, to avoid multiple reversions and re-applies and
> multiple RCs, I think we need to be a bit more cautious here.

As a point of information, before this patch clang bindings in python3
would segfault. Behaviour of bindings in python2 is unaffected by the patch.

best,

Jon

cheers,