[cfe-dev] RFC: do not optimize on basis of __attribute__((nonnull)) in glibc headers

Friedman, Eli via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 3 14:46:30 PST 2017

On 1/3/2017 2:06 PM, Richard Smith via cfe-dev wrote:
> Via https://reviews.llvm.org/D27855, LLVM is likely to gain the
> ability to delete null checks in callers based on
> __attribute__((nonnull)) on the callee. This interacts badly with
> glibc's choice to mark the pointer parameters of memcpy, memmove, etc.
> as __attribute__((nonnull)) -- it is relatively common for programs to
> pass a null pointer and a zero size to these functions, and in
> practice libc implementations accept such usage. Indeed, LLVM's
> lowering of @llvm.memcpy intrinsics relies on these calls working.
>
> Deleting a null pointer check on p after a memcpy(p, q, 0) call seems
> extremely user-hostile, and very unlikely to result in a valuable
> improvement to the program, so I propose that we stop lowering
> __attribute__((nonnull)) on these builtin library functions to the
> llvm nonnull attribute.
>
> (Chandler is working on a paper for the C++ committee proposing to
> give these functions defined behavior when given a null pointer and a
> zero size, but optimizing on the basis of these particular nonnull
> attributes seems like a bad idea regardless of the C or C++
> committees' decisions.)
>
> Thoughts?

"memcpy, memmove, etc." seems to be hiding some details here; do you
have a complete list of functions you want to special-case?  There are a
lot of functions which could potentially go on that list, and some of
them are POSIX or GNU extensions.

Why do we care about keeping these null pointer checks in particular, as
opposed to providing a flag which stops the optimizer from deleting null
pointer checks in general (like gcc's -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks).

-Eli