[cfe-dev] Reflections on Trusting Trust

John Criswell via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 28 07:09:53 PST 2017

On 2/27/17 8:33 PM, Willem Wyndham via cfe-dev wrote:
> I'm working a project to add a bug to Clang that is inspired by Ken
> Thompson's famous article. My question is where in clang should I edit
> to add source to the input source? I need my added source to be
> internal to clang so that when I compile normal clang with my binary
> the bug will still exist in the new compiler.

You probably want to examine and transform the Abstract Syntax Tree
(AST) instead of the program's actual source.  I have not worked with
the Clang libraries myself, but from what I understand, Clang provides
something like LLVM's transform passes for modifying the AST.

Clang has some bug detection code that you could look at; this would
help you learn how to examine the AST.

Regards,

John Criswell

> Best,
> Willem Wyndham
> Phd Student UMD, College Park

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell