[cfe-dev] Setting default dialect to C++11

Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 27 12:02:56 PST 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 05:38:03PM -0800, David Majnemer via cfe-dev wrote:
> > Generally I think this is overdue, and that we should go straight to C++14
> > rather than stopping at C++11 (like GCC did).
> >

> This policy makes sense. With GCC's change, projects must explicitly
> specify a -std if they insist on a particular language standard and as such
> changing Clang's default shouldn't make things any better or worse.

Projects in active maintainance are mostly migrating to C++11 already.
They don't care about this. But there is a huge existing code base that
doesn't specify -std=XXX and for which bad things can happen. Compile
errors are on the more harmless side of things.

Pointing to GCC doesn't really change anything. They don't maintain
those code bases either.

Joerg