[cfe-dev] Adding docs about emitting diagnostics and fixit hints

Peter Goldsborough via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 25 13:20:57 PST 2017

Hi all,

I’ve been delving into clang tools lately and found it quite hard to find documentation or resources w.r.t. plugging into clang’s diagnostics and FixIt hint infrastructure. For this reason I just published a blog post about the subject, to spare future devs the hassle of getting all that information from the clang source: http://www.goldsborough.me/c++/clang/llvm/tools/2017/02/24/00-00-06-emitting_diagnostics_and_fixithints_in_clang_tools/ <http://www.goldsborough.me/c++/clang/llvm/tools/2017/02/24/00-00-06-emitting_diagnostics_and_fixithints_in_clang_tools/>

I’d like to suggest that we could maybe extract parts of that blog post into official documentation under tools/clang/docs. The internals manual <http://clang.llvm.org/docs/InternalsManual.html#the-diagnostics-subsystem> provides a nice overview of the subject but it lacks practical examples. Would that be useful? If so, I’d be glad if someone could scan the post for mistakes and maybe point out how I could best approach this.

Thanks,
Peter Goldsborough
peter at goldsborough.me <mailto:peter at goldsborough.me>
Flat 410, Seth Court, 23 Parmiter St