[cfe-dev] [RFC] cHash: Integration of AST hashing

Richard Trieu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 11 11:52:26 PST 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:14 AM, Christian Dietrich <
dietrich at sra.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> Richard Trieu <rtrieu at google.com> writes:
>
> > I don't understand your need for pseudrandom identifiers.  If a specific
> > type of AST node (for instance, a Decl) is expected, then adding to the
> > stream the node kind (like from Decl::getKind()) is enough to avoid
> > collisions.  If any node can be expected, then first pass in an enum to
> > differentiate the different types (Decl, Stmt, Type, Attr, etc), then add
> > the node kind, and then continue on.  Stmt::Profile and ODRHash use this
> > method to avoid collisions.  I don't see any gain from using new
> > identifiers here.
>
> Ok, so let's explain a little bit my idea here: Of course, including the
> Decl::getKind() also distinguishes node types from each other. However,
> these values come from enums and are, therefore, small integers. Small
> integers (SI) occur very often in an AST. So, if a sequence of addData()
> operations produces the same sequence of SIs because node types are not
> distinguishable from SI that occur in the AST, we get a collision[1].
>
> How does the result of Decl::getKind() being a small integer allows any
chance of collision?  I'll admit that arbitrary sub-sequences of different
hash streams can be equal, but we shouldn't be hashing sub-sequences.

Decl
<Decl::getKind()>

Decl with two fields
<Decl::getKind()> <Field 1> < Field 2>

Decl with one sub-Decl
<Decl::getKind()> <Stream of sub-decl>

Decl with arbitrary number of sub-Decl's
<Decl::getKind()> <Number of sub-Decl's> <Stream of sub-decl 1> ... <Stream
of sub-decl N>

The result of Decl::getKind() will basically specify the format of the hash
stream.  I think better controlling of the input stream is a better way of
avoiding collisions then using magic numbers as identifiers.

We could see the same sequence for different ASTs, if an AST node has a
> variable number of children/references. Especially when using the
> RecursiveASTVisitor, which reduces the implementation burden of such a
> hashing method enormously[2], I'm not 100% sure, that I find all node
> types with a variable number of children/references.

Adding the number of children before visiting each child would avoid a
collision.