[cfe-dev] [RFC] cHash: Integration of AST hashing

Richard Trieu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 8 19:38:16 PST 2017

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Christian Dietrich via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Raphael Isemann <teemperor at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > That sounds like a really nice tool!
>
> I also really like the general principle of avoiding work that is
> redundant in the end. Let's save some polar bears! And some developers
> from serious injuries stemming from sword fights.
>
> > One problem I see is that we get yet another AST hashing
> > implementation in clang. I'm aware of at least four of them that I
> > personally work with:
> >
> > * The normal Stmt::Profile for Stmts
>
> This does indeed look structurally similar to our implementation for
> statements. However, types are only included as means of their pointers
> and, therefore, the hash is not stable over compilations. I wonder for
> which applications this is actually sufficient. And, does it really
> speed up things to badly?
>
> > * The ODR hashing for AST nodes in modules.
>
> This is also based on StmtProfilerWithoutPointers as far as I can
> tell[1]. And it is stable over invocations as it actually handles types.
> However, changing the order of declarations[1] will alter the hash. Also
> one thing we did in cHash is to use pseudrandom identifiers for
> different ast node types[3] to avoid some of the possible collisions. If
> you only add small integer values (getKind(), etc.) It is much easier to
> have a collision. Therefore, we add something like
>
> <UNIQUE-NODE-CLASS-ID> <FIELD1> <FIELD2> <FIELD3>
>
> to the hashing stream most of the time. Ideally, the text that goes into
> the hash should be usable to reconstruct an AST tree with the same
> structure; not neccessarily with the same information.
>
> I don't understand your need for pseudrandom identifiers.  If a specific
type of AST node (for instance, a Decl) is expected, then adding to the
stream the node kind (like from Decl::getKind()) is enough to avoid
collisions.  If any node can be expected, then first pass in an enum to
differentiate the different types (Decl, Stmt, Type, Attr, etc), then add
the node kind, and then continue on.  Stmt::Profile and ODRHash use this
method to avoid collisions.  I don't see any gain from using new
identifiers here.