[cfe-dev] [RFC] Proposal to contribute Intel’s implementation of C++17 parallel algorithms

Jeff Hammond via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 8 17:35:54 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> On 12/08/2017 03:55 PM, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
>

>> On 12/07/2017 11:35 AM, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:57 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

>>> Do you expect par/par_unseq to nest?
>>>

>>> Yes.
>>>

>>> Nesting omp-parallel is generally regarded as a Bad Idea.
>>>

>>> Agreed. I suspect we'll want the mapping to be more like '#pragma omp
>>> taskloop simd'.
>>>

>> That won’t run in parallel unless in an omp-parallel-master region.
>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> That means OpenMP-based PSTL won’t be parallel unless the user knows to
>> add back-end specific code about the PSTL.
>>

>> That obviously wouldn't be acceptable.
>>

>> What I’m trying to say is that OpenMP is a poor target for PSTL in its
>> current form. Nested parallel regions is the only thing that works and it
>> is likely to work poorly.
>>

>> I'm not sure that's true, but the technique may not be trivial. I believe
>> that it is possible, however. For example, the mapping might be to
>> something like:
>>
>> if (omp_in_parallel()) {
>> #pragma omp taskloop simd
>>   for (size_t i = 0; i < N; ++i)
>>     F(X[i]);
>> } else {
>> #pragma omp parallel
>>   {
>> #pragma omp taskloop simd
>>      for (size_t i = 0; i < N; ++i)
>>        F(X[i]);
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> The fact that we'd need to use this kind of pattern is a bit unfortunate,
>> but it can be easily abstracted into a template function, so it just
>> becomes some implementation detail of the library.
>>

> You are right and that is probably the best way to do it with OpenMP.  I
> am concerned about the absolute performance, based upon my observations of
> omp-taskloop vs omp-for and tbb::parallel_for
>

> Have you tried this recently? There was a recursive task-stealing strategy
> added to our OpenMP library in July of this year (r308338) which should
> have made the performance of taskloop better.

I ran those benchmarks this summer with Intel 18 beta.  Tom from LLNL
mentioned that a stealing-based implementation of OpenMP taskloop was
feasible but I didn't investigate whether it was used.  Obviously, I know
some people who can help me answer questions about the LLVM OpenMP runtime
;-)

> in the PRK project, but at least it is sane from a semantic perspective.
> Having motivating use cases like PSTL should lead to improvements in OpenMP
> runtime performance w.r.t. taskloop.
>

> Indeed :-)
>

> https://i.stack.imgur.com/MVd5j.png is a snapshot of the performance of
> PRK stencil (https://github.com/ParRes/Kernels/tree/master/Cxx11), which
> shows taskloop loses to TBB-based PSTL, OpenMP for, and tbb::parallel_for
> (pure TBB beats TBB-based PSTL because I use tbb::blocked_range2d, which
> improves cache utilization).  I think those results tuned taskloop
> grainsize as well, so they may be an optimistic representation of taskloop
> in a general usage.
>

> Interesting.

I should try to figure out how to recreate what TBB does with PSTL since
it's clearly beneficial, at least on KNL.  Obviously, I can block loops
manually as I do with raw OpenMP code, but I'm sure there's a nicer way.

> I'll see if I can prototype this in RAJA or Intel PSTL.  It's not hard to
> get results directly from the PRK tests, if the former attempts fail.
>
> Correct: I'll see if I can prototype for_each.  The rest will be left as
an exercise for the reader :-D

Jeff

jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/