[cfe-dev] [RFC] Proposal to contribute Intel’s implementation of C++17 parallel algorithms

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 8 13:13:49 PST 2017

On 12/07/2017 11:35 AM, Jeff Hammond wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:57 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov
> <mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>> wrote:
>

>     On 12/06/2017 10:23 PM, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>>
>>     On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:23 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov
>>     <mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>> wrote:
>>

>>         On 12/04/2017 10:48 PM, Serge Preis via cfe-dev wrote:
>>>         I agree that guarantees provided by ICC may be stronger than
>>>         with other compilers, so yes, under OpenMP terms
>>>         vectorization is permitted and cannot be assumed. However
>>>         OpenMP clearly defines semantics of variables used within
>>>         OpenMP region some being shared(scalar), some
>>>         private(vector) and some being inductions. This goes far
>>>         beyond typical compiler specific pragmas about dependencies
>>>         and cost modelling and makes vectorization much simpler task
>>>         with more predictable and robust results if properly
>>>         implemented (admittedly, even ICC implementation is far from
>>>         perfect). I hope Intel's efforts to standardize someting
>>>         like this in core C++ will evntually come to fruition. Until
>>>         then I as a regular application developer would appreciate
>>>         OpenMP-simd based execution policy (hoping for good support
>>>         for OpenMP SIMD in clang), but it shouldn't necessary be
>>>         part of libc++. Since 'unordered' execution policy is
>>>         currently not part of C++ standard
>>
>>         std::execution::par_unseq is part of C++17, and that
>>         essentially maps to '#pragma omp parallel for simd'.
>>

>>     Do you expect par/par_unseq to nest?
>
>     Yes.
>

>>     Nesting omp-parallel is generally regarded as a Bad Idea.
>
>     Agreed. I suspect we'll want the mapping to be more like '#pragma
>     omp taskloop simd'.
>

> That won’t run in parallel unless in an omp-parallel-master region.

Yes.

> That means OpenMP-based PSTL won’t be parallel unless the user knows
> to add back-end specific code about the PSTL.

That obviously wouldn't be acceptable.

> What I’m trying to say is that OpenMP is a poor target for PSTL in its
> current form. Nested parallel regions is the only thing that works and
> it is likely to work poorly.

I'm not sure that's true, but the technique may not be trivial. I
believe that it is possible, however. For example, the mapping might be
to something like:

if (omp_in_parallel()) {
#pragma omp taskloop simd
   for (size_t i = 0; i < N; ++i)
     F(X[i]);
} else {
#pragma omp parallel
   {
#pragma omp taskloop simd
      for (size_t i = 0; i < N; ++i)
        F(X[i]);
   }
}

The fact that we'd need to use this kind of pattern is a bit
unfortunate, but it can be easily abstracted into a template function,
so it just becomes some implementation detail of the library.

Thanks again,
Hal

--
Hal Finkel