[cfe-dev] RFC: clang-doc proposal

Ansel Sermersheim via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 6 16:21:25 PST 2017

Julie,

This proposal touches on some areas that I know quite well. As a
co-founder of the DoxyPress project I have learned a great deal about
C++ documentation and I believe I can provide some useful context and
experience.

There are many who believe, inaccurately, that Doxygen supports clang
for parsing. This is misleading and not what their "Clang assisted
parsing" option does. In reality, Doxygen uses the clang frontend when
the Doxygen lex parser gets into an error state while parsing a template
declaration. All C++ parsing and lexing is done in a hand written lexer.
On the other hand, the clang parsing option in DoxyPress actually does
what you would expect, and uses the clang frontend. All documentation is
then generated based on the AST.

I agree, Doxygen was the de facto standard, but it should no longer be
considered for documenting modern C++ code since a hand-rolled lexer
simply cannot keep up with current syntax. It is worth mentioning the
clang documentation generated by DoxyPress is far better than the
current Doxygen documentation. If you would like to see it I can post it
somewhere for your review.

If you are looking to add a documentation tool to the clang suite, there
are a lot more questions that will come up in the process. If all you
are looking to do is document clang itself and clang tooling, that is a
much more constrained use case.

As a side note, the code in clang that supports -Wdocumentation is very
limited and only parses a very minimal set of Doxygen/DoxyPress comment
syntax. When we looked at it last year, it appeared that a great deal of
work would need to be done to support the majority of comments that will
be found in an existing C++ codebase which uses Doxygen.

I would encourage more discussion and a bit more thought on narrowing
down the problem you would like to solve. If there are additional
questions about how we addressed these issues in DoxyPress we are very
happy to be part of the discussion.

Hope you find some of these comments useful.