[cfe-dev] Adding indexing support to Clangd

Doug Schaefer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 11 09:09:28 PDT 2017

Sorry gang, Outlook isn’t treating this thread very well. I’ll have to top post my response.

The CDT indexer and database were written in 2005 so the data is long gone and we’re talking about different database technologies anyway. All I remember was it was slower by multiple orders of magnitude on writes. And that stopped my investigation right there. At the time I was trying to get a full index of the Firefox source down from an hour to a few minutes and incremental indexing times down to less than a second (thanks to the header caching). The DB was taking me in the other direction.

I’m just not sure architecting for simple lookups is the right approach. Just consider probably the most common use case for clangd, content assist. Given an offset into the file, determine the context/scope of the content and a prefix. You then need to find all matches for that prefix. That’s by no means a simple lookup given all the declarations, type hierarchies, scope hierarchies in play in that context. Finding references is another good one that also requires scope analysis to make sure you’re actually returning references to that exact definition and not just something that happens to have the same name. The CDT index has links back and forth between these things.

Again, I’m just relaying my experience haven built one of these things before. And it was a long time ago. All avenues are worth exploring.

Doug.