[cfe-dev] [RFC][clang-tidy] Register warnings as check aliases

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 30 07:14:18 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Gábor Horváth <xazax.hun at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to propose that it should be possible to register compiler
> warnings as clang-tidy check aliases.

I think this is an excellent idea!

> As a motivating example, there is a CERT C++ secure coding rule: ERR54-CPP
> [1]
>
> This rule is covered by the clang warning: -Wexceptions
>
> So turning on this check in clang tidy would have two effects: turning on
> -Wexceptions and display the result of -Wexceptions as ERR54-CPP hits.

How do you envision the diagnostics being reported? For instance,
would it be [cert-err54-cpp, -Wexceptions], [cert-err54-cpp], or
[-Wexceptions]?

Also, do you envision this overriding a flag if it's disabled? e.g.,
would this diagnose, or silence the diagnostic?

clang-tidy E:\SomeFile.cpp -checks=-*,cert-err54-cpp -- -std=c++14
-Wno-exceptions

> In my opinion aliases like this would be a great usability improvement:
>  - it would be easier to check the code against some coding guidelines.
>  - it would be easier to check what rules are already covered.
>  - it would be easier to find uncovered rules to implement.
>
> What do you think? Would you support a feature like that?

I would love to see a feature like this, especially if it's something
users can configure themselves with some sort of file-based
configuration. This degree of flexibility would allow us to more
easily maintain common rulesets like CERT, MISRA, JSF++, C++ Core
Guidelines, etc while still giving users the ability to support custom
rulesets without modifying the Clang source.

~Aaron