[cfe-dev] Possible bug in check::RegionChanges

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 20 08:53:31 PDT 2016

Aha, so i was wondering what's so expensive about computing the lists of
changed regions if they need to be computed for pointer escape anyway.
That explains: when the doc was written, there used to be no pointer
escape callback at all.

 From now, we may:

(1) Remove the callback completely and lose nothing.

(2) Try to gain performance by fixing this callback.

(3) Try to gain even more performance by adding
wantsPointerEscapeUpdate() callback.

Because performance is good for us, it'd probably be great if someone
(me(?)) tries to measure the actual performance impact of approaches
(1)-(3).

That said, from reading the code i'm still not convinced that there's
much performance gain. Lists of changed regions are filled automatically
alongside with traversing the store, does anybody know what's the hard
part here anyway? Or was it a premature optimization from the very
beginning?