[cfe-dev] Configuration files

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 19 13:17:13 PDT 2016

On 19 September 2016 at 21:10, Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> In short: Only pull in configuration files if they are either explicitly
> requested OR come from a fixed location in the compiler installation
> prefix.

That works, too, in the packaging level. But for user overriding the
behaviour (which was the OP's point), you need either a config dir
(~/.llvm) or local dir.

> Most importantly, do not just randomly include configuration
> files in the current directory either.

Don't Windows user rely on this? I just mentioned because of that.
Also, if Clang -v tells where the config is coming from, wouldn't that
help users finding the culprit?

> That can easily result in hard to
> trace down race conditions. The advantage gained by saving a command
> line option doesn't justify the cost, IMO.

This is one of the points against inheritance of rules, which makes
this problem even worse.

But it should be OK to define only two (system, user) hard-coded
locations for config files.

cheers,
--renato