[cfe-dev] [RFC] Block captured variables in OpenCL 2.X dynamic parallelism

Bekket McClane via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 18 20:21:17 PDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 3:51 AM, Anastasia Stulova <
Anastasia.Stulova at arm.com> wrote:

> Hi Bekket,
>
> Could you please elaborate what benefits passing captured variables as
> separate argument gives in comparison to passing a pointer to a chunk of
> captures located somewhere in contiguous memory. Perhaps examples could be
> helpful or if you already have a patch feel free to setup the review.

Sure, we would set up a code review later.

> Current design passes the whole block literal structure into
> __enqueue_kernel_XXX and relies on it to make capturing data available
> before enqueueing the block. Using memcpy should be sufficient here to copy
> thread local (private address space) data into some global memory.

Of course one can copy captured variables to some global memory, but global
memory management is non trivial. Which either we need some special help
from target specific APIs for better management, or we need to allocate a
large chunk, static size, of global memory in our OCL runtime
implementation. We think both of them are not neat and less flexible(due to
the static size of global memory) in comparison to passing function
arguments(to block invoke function) "locally".

> I am guessing the same should be done with your approach but in the format
> of parameter passing if blocks are to be enqueued anywhere globally on the
> device?

Yes, one key feature of current(ObjC) block literal structure is that it
arrange captures variables in a pretty "strange" way:

struct block_literal {
 int isa;
 (...other block header fields...)

 int capture_1;   //<-- How do we know the offset of this field within our
OCL runtime implementation?
 float capture_2;
}

As mentioned in the code comment above, although we can get the offset of
each fields in block_literal during codegen, it's nearly impossible to do
so in a OCL runtime implementation code, i.e "outside" the compiler. In
another word: The layout of block_literal is dynamic, which bothers
developers.
cap_copy_helper, which is the helper "memcpy" generated(function definition
included) during codegen, comes to this aid.

In your proposal does frontend generate definitions of cap_copy_helper
> functions then?
>

> Cheers,
> Anastasia

Cheers,