[cfe-dev] Is Clang 3.6 still supported as host compiler for libcxx?

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 18 03:00:29 PDT 2016

On 18 October 2016 at 10:41, Artyom Skrobov via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I couldn't find any definite information on which compiler versions are supported for building libcxx.

Hum, it should be the same as LLVM (3.1, *cough* *cough*).

> However, building with clang 3.7.0 or a later version succeeds.

I have just upgraded our buildbot from 3.6.2 to 3.9.0 a few months
ago, so it was working until very recently. I just did't know I was
the last one standing... :(

In this particular case, I think we should fix libc++, not upgrade the
minimum Clang version to 3.9, as that wouldn't make sense.

> In an ongoing discussion in llvm-dev, it had been mentioned that clang 3.4 is intended to be the oldest supported host compiler for llvm+clang; what's the current policy for libcxx?

Sigh... we're not doing so well in that front, as you have repeatedly
shown us... :)

We need some higher level discussion, in addition to the "upgrade
compiler X" discussions, to make sure what do we mean by "we support
compiler X", and make sure we stand by it.

But to guarantee this, we'd have to rely on the foundation for the
hardware, as we'd need to test on Linux, Darwin and Windows, for all
three compiler versions (where appropriate).

I'll start a thread on the foundation list...

cheers,
--renato