[cfe-dev] [test-suite] making polybench/symm succeed with "-Ofast" and "-ffp-contract=on"

Sebastian Pop via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 14 15:05:01 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> [...]

This is absolute tolerance: here is the code I'm using to check.

        double V1 = A[i][j];
        double V2 = B[i][j];
        double Diff = fabs(V1 - V2);
        if (Diff > AbsTolerance) {
          fprintf(stderr, "A[%d][%d] = %lf and B[%d][%d] = %lf differ more than"
                  " FP_ABSTOLERANCE = %lf\n", i, j, V1, i, j, V2, AbsTolerance);
          return 0;
        }

Do you want me to add the relative tolerance for the 2 tests?
polybench/linear-algebra/kernels/symm, FP_ABSTOLERANCE=1e1
polybench/linear-algebra/solvers/gramschmidt, FP_ABSTOLERANCE=1e0
What should be a good relative tolerance to set for these two tests?

Here is the code to compute the relative tolerance from fpcmp:

  // Check to see if these are inside the absolute tolerance
  if (AbsTolerance < fabs(V1-V2)) {
    // Nope, check the relative tolerance...
    double Diff;
    if (V2)
      Diff = fabs(V1/V2 - 1.0);
    else if (V1)
      Diff = fabs(V2/V1 - 1.0);
    else
      Diff = 0;  // Both zero.
    if (Diff > RelTolerance) {
      fprintf(stderr, ("%s: Compared: %e and %e\n"
                       "abs. diff = %e rel.diff = %e\n"
                       "Out of tolerance: rel/abs: %e/%e\n"),
              g_program, V1, V2, fabs(V1-V2), Diff, RelTolerance, AbsTolerance);
      return true;
    }
  }

>  -Hal
>

>> I hope that fast-math in Clang isn't that broken, so that's probably
>> to do with the assumptions in the output reduction phase.
>>
>> But, as I said, let's do Ofast *later*. One thing at a time.

Agreed. I will update the patch, make sure all Polybench pass with
"-O3 -ffp-contract=on/off" and it will be ready to commit.

Thanks,
Sebastian