[cfe-dev] Blended analysis using Clang

Eric Williamson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 11 05:15:01 PDT 2016

Hello,

I am looking to conduct a blended analysis of c programs, with respect to
certain invariants, using clang. I was wondering if there are been similar
projects that have been previously completed.

As we have the source of these programs, my initial attempts have led me to
using the clang static analyzer to statically assert as many of the
invariants as I can using a path sensitive analysis, and identifying places
to identify dynamic checks for certain passes where the invariant is
unknown if violated. The only way I have seen to identify these points of
interest is to use a Rewriter instance to leave a marker comment at that
source location where I want to insert dynamic checks. Is there a more
standard way of communicating these locations for dynamic checks out from
the static analyzer?

After those calls have been properly communicated I would like to use some
method to embed checks into the final executable. From my understanding I
can do this through a source to source translation with a Rewriter, with an
AST modification, or at the IR level. Do you have any advice on what would
be best to embed a variety of dynamic checks into a many different c
programs?

Thank You,
Eric Williamson