[cfe-dev] Questions on Clang DataflowSanitizer Taint Propagation

Jong-Ju Park via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 10 02:12:47 PDT 2016

To whom it may concern:

Greetings and happy Thanksgiving!
I am using DataflowSanitizer to conduct software engineering-related research at Simon Fraser University, Canada.

First off, why is it that for dfsan_create_label, the userdata is a pointer type,
whereas for dfsan_get_label, the data is a long integer type? Not that I intend to
confront or judge your wisdom in any way, but it seems more intuitive
for the data type of dfsan_get_label and that in the dfsan_label_info structure to match.

Also, after assigning a label to a byte, and copying the byte into another variable,
I should get the label for the original byte if I try to fetch the labels on the said variable;
however, no matter what I do, I get a (null) description and a (nil) data for the variable.
The description and the data are just as expected when I use the original byte to
fetch the label and the dfsan_label_info structure, though.

My Clang version is 3.8, and I am using Lubutu 16.04.

I have attached a PDF of some of the codes that I tried.

DyTan has a dependency hell going on, not to mention being too tightly
coupled with legacy technology (a very old version of Pin that has the files laid out in
a very particular way) and TaintGrind is not quite what I am looking for,
so I am really counting on getting DataFlowSanitizer to work as I want it to.

Thank you for looking into this, and I would appreciate a reply as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

JongJu Park