[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [test-suite] making the test-suite succeed with "-Ofast" and "-ffp-contract=on"

Sebastian Pop via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 8 06:25:49 PDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Renato Golin via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Proposal 4:
>
> Investigate each problematic benchmark and apply the best solution for
> each one of them, independently. For oggenc we may need something
> different.

[...]
> My proposal is to go through all 50 cases and propose the lowest
> number of solutions possible for all of them. I'm guessing this will
> be between 2 and 4 different cases.

I like Proposal 4: we need different patches to different problems.
I am sure we do not have an understanding of all the problems in the 50
currently failing benchmarks, so we will need to analyze each problem.

> The proposal 2 is actually good for Polybench, at least for the one
> case where Sebastian has implemented. Yes, it doubles run time, but
> it's validation run time, which is part of the test, and it doesn't
> bloat disk/memory.

I see that handling Polybench separately as in Proposal 2 also falls
under Proposal 4, as handling that benchmark separately from the other
ones that may have different problems.

A separate follow-up patch can link a hashing algorithm in each
test of Polybench and output the hashed result to reduce I/O.

If everybody agrees on starting by fixing Polybench as described in
Proposal 2, I will complete the implementation of that patch, and follow-up
with the hashing of the output.

Thanks,
Sebastian