[cfe-dev] [RFC] New ClangDebuggerSupport Library

Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 11 09:08:22 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 8:13 AM, David Blaikie via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> My knee-jerk reaction is that this could just as well live in LLDB if
> there are no other users - though Keno points out he could use it in Julia,
> so that seems like potentially sufficient interest to demonstrate that it
> might be a reasonable/reusable abstraction.

I think this functionality should live in the clang codebase. The AST has a
surprising number of invariants that are easy to violate. Right now LLDB is
super tightly coupled to clang because it has to carefully learn and
satisfy those invariants.

The approach taken in LLDB is to essentially "deserialize" DWARF into ASTs.
If we consider DWARF to be a stable serialization of the AST, then the
reading logic should live near the writing logic, which is currently in
clang/lib/CodeGen/CGDebugInfo.cpp.