[cfe-dev] Learning how to use and deploy 'scan-build'

Martin J. O'Riordan via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 11 05:48:14 PST 2016

I am working on adding 'scan-build' to the set of tools we include with our
release of 'clang', and trying to determine the minimal set of components
needed to be able to successfully use 'scan-build'.  The documentation for
this is fairly thin, so there are many things I am having to learn.

Currently we just provide the compiler itself, along with the headers and
libraries for our SHAVE target.  I would like to add a lot of the additional
tools and utilities that CLang/LLVM provide with future versions,
'scan-build' is one of these, and 'clang-tidy', etc., but not a complete
set.

In addition to the 'scan-build' Perl script itself, I also need the
'ccc-analyzer' and 'c++-analyzer' Perl scripts, and this appears to run
without error; but I would like to know are their other components that I
need to ensure that it is fully functional?

I would like to know what is the "core set" of analysers?  I listed the full
set of analysers in 'clang' v3.9.0 and some of these names are prefixed with
'core.' so I presume these are the ones that comprise the core set?  When
enabling others I presume I have to add a comma-separated list to the
'-enable-checker' option, for example 'debug.Stats,unix.Malloc'.  The names
in the list of checks are formed with separating dot characters, does
selecting something like 'security' enable all the checkers in the
'security.*' group, or do I have to enable them one at a time?

Sorry if this is all answered in some part of the documentation I haven't
found, and please point me at it.

Thanks,

            MartinO