[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 31 15:38:28 PDT 2016

Or the cheaper "git rev-list --count --all" if your git is new enough.
We do something like this as well.

> > So from the shell:
> >
> >  $ git buildnum
> >  17475
> >
> > This number increases monotonically per commit.
>
> It does not work with branches though (we're not really planning to have
> branches I believe),

You can get a per-branch unique number with this tactic.  On our local
branches we use "rev-list origin/master.." which is the number of commits
since branching from master, and that's enough for our local purposes.

> but more importantly it won't handle cross-repository
> versioning (how do you relate the number this command prints in the llvm
> repo to the number it'll print in the clang repo?), which I believe is
> something important considering our setup.

Is it really that important?  Or are we just used to the convenience?
If the Clang build number is a tuple (cfe-number, llvm-number) instead
of a single number, how horrible is that really?  If you consider what
an out-of-tree front end probably does, it's exactly the same thing.

(I admit that locally we mush cfe+llvm into a single branch and do the
rev-list count to get a single number. But that's more for our own
convenience than anything else.)
--paulr