[cfe-dev] Disable integer promotion (Dilan Manatunga via cfe-dev)

Martin J. O'Riordan via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 30 05:53:10 PDT 2016

Hi James and thanks for pointing out the existence of this transformation, we were quite unaware of it.

As it happens, I am highly allergic to re-invention and avoid doing so whenever possible; the only reason an already overburdened team of 2 developers will re-invent is because they are unaware of an existing solution which is not difficult given the scope and complexity of LLVM.

So far as I can tell, ‘truncateToMinimalBitwidths’ is always enabled, so it is not a target specific selection and our target should automatically reap the rewards of this optimisation pass.  I certainly cannot find a switch to enable or disable it.  But in fact we are not seeing anywhere near the benefits we would expect.

void InnerLoopVectorizer::truncateToMinimalBitwidths() {

  // For every instruction `I` in MinBWs, truncate the operands, create a

  // truncated version of `I` and reextend its result. InstCombine runs

  // later and will remove any ext/trunc pairs.

This appears to only run on inner-loops, and it appear to insert narrowings/truncations and subsequent widenings/extendings into the IR chains.

The DataLayout for our target includes “-n8:16:32”, so it should see the benefits of optimisations for multiple native integer support.  We also provide both 32-bit SIMD and 128-bit SIMD native support.

The pass that we wrote is quite different.  It is run as a machine pass prior to loop-unrolling and vectorisation, and instead of pre-truncating and post-extending IR chains, it removes the existing pre-extending and post-truncating that brackets a sequence of IR operations if it can prove that the outcome is the same.  The results are actually very good and match what our expectations are from such a transformation, which makes me wonder “why does ‘truncateToMinimalBitwidths’ not already produce comparable results?”.

Our observations are that with the new pass, a significant majority of vectorised code showed some improvement, with results as high as 40X faster than without.  Of the small number of tests that regressed in performance, adding a ‘#pragma clang unroll_count(N)’ eliminated the loss.  This could probably be eliminate too by better tuning of the cost-models.

The re-invention is inadvertent, but in any event our new pass appears to provide considerable additional performance improvements that are not currently happening with the stock LLVM transformations.

I will have to contrive some tests to see why ‘truncateToMinimalBitwidths’ is not already doing this, and if there is something that we have done wrong in our target that is breaking it, I will happily revert to an existing solution.

            MartinO