[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] LLVM Releases: Upstream vs. Downstream / Distros

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 12 09:07:23 PDT 2016

On 12 May 2016 at 16:57, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:
> Errr, Stephen has spoken up here, but my folks are in contact with android
> folks pretty much every week, and I don't think what you are stating is
> correct on a lot of fronts.

I obviously don't speak for Android and have already apologised to
Steve about my choice of words.

> So if android is your particular concern here, i can pretty much state that
> android LLVM is on a release process close to the rest of Google, which is
> 'follow TOT very closely'.

Isn't this what I said?

Following ToT very closely is only good for groups that have high
involvement in LLVM, like Google and Android.

And for that reason (and others), Android doesn't use the upstream
releases. I was wondering if we could make anything so they would.

The major benefit wouldn't be, as I explained, specifically for
Google/Android, but for Android users, Linux users, Linux distros,
LLVM library users (including Renderscript), etc.

--renato