[cfe-dev] LLVM 3.8.0 clang binary for Windows targets VC++

Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 29 18:31:00 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Edward Diener via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Still isn't distributing a clang Windows release which by default targets
> VC++ for all clang invocations, and not just clang-cl, a bit of a rude
> awakening for all those who have used clang on Windows with mingw(-64)/gcc
> in the past ?

Perhaps, but this has always been the default behavior if you build from
source with MSVC for over two years now (r199250).

Basically, if you build clang with mingw it will target mingw by default.
If you build clang with MSVC, it will target MSVC by default. This was
deemed to be consistent with how clang works on other platforms, where you
get a host compiler by default. Either way, you can override the default
with --target.

It also happens that for a long time after that, Hans configured the builds
at llvm.org/builds so that 'clang' targeted mingw by default, and
'clang-cl' targeted MSVC. We removed that flag from the packaging script
some time ago, which probably confused some users.