[cfe-dev] clang-format: placement of cv-qualifiers

Sven Over via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 18 05:04:39 PDT 2016

Hi, Clang Developers!

It would be extremely useful for me if clang-format could take care of
the placement of the cv-qualifier in cv-qualified types. What I mean is
that I would like to use clang-format to enforce a convention to put
cv-qualifiers on the left side of a type, i.e. write

   T const, T const*, T const* const

instead of

   const T, const T*, const T* const

I'm thinking of an option like

   CVQualifier: left

to enforce "T const" etc.,

   CVQualifier: right

to enforce "const T" etc., and

   CVQualifier: none

to not enforce either and leave cv-qualifiers where they are.

I was wondering if any work in that direction has been done already. I
can't find anything. Also, if anyone has some helpful ideas/pointers,
I'd be very grateful. I've only spend a few hours dabbling with clang
refactoring, so it'll take me some amount of time to understand how this
could be implemented. Time well invested, I guess, but still, if someone
has some ideas, please do tell!

Thanks everyone!
Sven.