[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 15 04:27:33 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM Cownie, James H <james.h.cownie at intel.com>
wrote:

> Chandler,
>

> That raises a more meta-question for me, which is “Why should
> StreamExecutor be in LLVM at all?”
>

> AFAICS, with you approach
>
> ·         It is not a runtime library whose interface the compiler needs
> to understand.

The original email pretty clearly spells out how it is specifically
intended to be a target for the compiler?

> ·         It does not depend on any LLVM runtime libraries.
>
> ·         It is expected to be used with out-of-tree plugins.

Note that this doesn't mean there won't be in-tree plugins. It's analogous
to how LLVM supports out-of-tree targets.

> If I got all of that right, what connection does it have with LLVM that
> makes having it in the LLVM tree necessary, or an improvement over simply
> having it on github (or whatever your favourite open-source hosting
> location is)?

If there were nothing compiler related to it, then the argument would be
much more tenuous. But I think there is a great deal of compiler relevance
here.