[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 15 03:44:25 PDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 6:51 PM Jason Henline via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I think it would be great if StreamExecutor could use liboffload to
> perform its offloading under the hood. Right now offloading is handled in
> StreamExecutor using platform plugins, so I think it could be very natural
> for us to write a plugin which basically forwards to liboffload.

I think that having a liboffload plugin would be nice, but I don't think we
should really base everything on top of this for a few reasons:

1) I think we already have a nice plugin interface specifically designed to
support out-of-tree platforms with StreamExecutor, and it wouldn't make a
lot of sense to force them to re-implement there stuff.

2) Some platforms may not want or be able to use the liboffload style
plugin.

It seems like if the OpenMP folks want to add a liboffload plugin to
StreamExecutor, that would be an awesome additional platform, but I don't
see why we need to force the coupling here.

My 2 cents.
-Chandler