[cfe-dev] Maintaining a clang fork

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Mar 13 12:21:15 PDT 2016

You’ve had lots of other replies, but no one has yet mentioned git-imerge.  It burns a *lot* of cycles, but I’ve found that it’s the best way of handling the merges.  It identifies the pair of revisions (yours and upstream) that cause a conflict and lets you fix them one at a time.

Unfortunately, the clang and llvm git repos are separate in the git export, so you can’t easily run the clang test suite during the merge (you can run LLVM tests though, and if you merge LLVM first then you can find the revision that corresponds to your head merged with a specific clang svn revision and try running that).

Our fork has some fairly invasive changes from upstream (support for pointers that are not integers all the way from clang to the back end), so merges are quite painful and I wait longer between them than I should.

David