[cfe-dev] RFC: [OpenCL] upstreaming khronos OpenCL header files

Liu, Yaxun (Sam) via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 9 11:29:22 PST 2016

Hi,

OpenCL predefines many overloaded builtin functions ('builtin' in the sense of OpenCL spec) which are not defined in Clang. As such, to compile OpenCL kernels which call OpenCL 'builtin' functions, a header file declaring these functions is needed.

The khronos OpenCL header files can be found at these links:

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/SPIR/blob/spirv-1.0/lib/Headers/opencl-20.h

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/SPIR/blob/spirv-1.0/lib/Headers/opencl-12.h

I am wondering if upstreaming these header files to Clang trunk at clang/lib/Headers would save the OpenCL users the trouble of downloading these header files from different places.

Also with these header files upstreamed, we could make them implicitly included so that users do not need to include them explicitly.

Your feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Sam