[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: CodeView debug info emission in Clang/LLVM

Aboud, Amjad via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 8 04:39:06 PST 2016

Hi,
I said it before and I am saying it again, I do not think that this proposal is needed to support Codeview.

1.       Why cannot Codegen make use of current DIType metadata to represent the codeview types?

2.       Why cannot “DW_TAG_typedef” be used to generate the “DICodeViewUDT” symbol?

3.       Why do we need the TypeIndex?

·         DISubprogram and DIVariable simply point to the DIType metadata, instead of having an index into an array where these DIType are stored?!

4.       Why the “TypeRecords” are of type MDString? Are they the source name of the type?

I believe that current Debug Info metadata contains all information needed to create the codeview information in codegen.
Thus, I do not see a need to either modify Clang or even modify the LLVM IR.

Please, if you have a concrete case where you think we have lost information needed for codeview between Clang and Codegen, tell us about it and I will be happy to help you figure out how to retrieve this information from current DI metadata.

Thanks,
Amjad