[cfe-dev] [RFC][OpenMP][CUDA] Unified Offloading Support in Clang Driver

Justin Lebar via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 7 18:38:09 PST 2016

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that having the
clang driver output a tar (or zip or whatever, we can bikeshed later)
makes a lot of sense, in terms of meeting all of our competing
requirements.

tar is trivially compatible with all existing tools.  It's also
trivial to edit.  Want to add or remove an object file from the
bundle?  Go for it.  Want to disassemble just one platform's code,
using a proprietary tool you don't control?  No problem.

tar also preserves the single-file-out behavior of the compiler, so it
should be compatible with existing build systems with minimal changes.

There's also a very simple model for explaining how tars would work
when linking with the clang driver:

  $ clang a.tar b.tar

is exactly equivalent to extracting a.tar and b.tar and then doing

  $ clang a.file1 a.file2 b.file1 b.file2

tar has the nice property that it has an unambiguous ordering.

One final advantage of tar is that it's trivial to memory map portions
of the tarball, so extracting one arch's object file is a zero-cost
operation.  And tars can be written incrementally, so if you don't do
your different architectures' compilations in parallel, each stage of
compilation could just write to the one tarball, letting you avoid a
copy.

If we instead bundle into a single object file, which seems to be the
other main proposal at the moment, we have to deal with a lot of
additional complexity:

* We'll have to come up with a scheme for all of the major object file
formats (ELF, MachO, whatever Windows uses)

* We'll basically be reinventing the wheel wrt a lot of the metadata
in an object file.  For example, ELF specifies the target ISA in its
header.  But our object files will contain multiple ISAs.  Similarly,
we'll have to come up with a debug info scheme, and come up with a way
to point between different debuginfo sections, in potentially
different (potentially proprietary!) formats, at different code for
different archs.  I'm no expert, but ELF really doesn't seem built for
this.  (Thus the existence of the FatELF project.)

* Unless we choose to do nested object files (which seems horrible),
our multiarch object file is not going to contain within it N valid
object files -- the data for each arch is going to be spread out, or
there are going to be some headers which can only appear once, or
whatever.  So you can't just mmap portions of our multiarch object
file to retrieve the bits you want, like you can with tar.

* We'll want everyone to agree to the specifics of this format.
That's a tall order no matter what we choose, but complexity will
stand in the way of getting something actually interoperable.

In addition, this scheme doesn't play nicely with existing tools -- we
will likely need to patch binutils rather extensively in order to get
it to play sanely with this format.

I don't think we need to force anyone to use tar.  For the Intel phi,
putting everything into one object file probably makes sense, because
it's all the same ISA.  For NVPTX, we may want to continue having the
option of compiling into something which looks like nvcc's format.
(Although an extracted tarball would be compatible with all of
nvidia's tools, afaik.)  Maybe we'll want to support other existing
formats as well, for compatibility.  And we can trivially have a flag
that tells clang not to tar its output, if you're allergic.

-Justin