[cfe-dev] Clang should natively support fortran

Yuri via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 22 15:15:58 PDT 2016

On 06/22/2016 14:40, Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev wrote:
> This is FUD. You can certainly mix compiled C++ between GCC and Clang as
> long as you use a consistent STL implementation and avoid versions of
> GCC that are no longer compatible with the Itanium ABI (aka using the
> cxxabi crap).

Sorry, my description wasn't accurate.

The real problem is that clang-built executables link with the older
version of libgcc_s.so (/lib/libgcc_s.so.1), and the current gcc
supplies its own version, ex. /usr/local/lib/gcc48/libgcc_s.so These two
libgcc_s.so are in conflict. The reason why FreeBSD base system has an
older version has to do with the changed gcc license, which became
incompatible. The reason clang-built executables link with
/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 is that an "unwind" API is only implemented there.

I guess the real question is: what is the best replacement of an unwind
API? Does clang/llvm supply it? Or what is the best solution of this
problem?

This problem has been in FreeBSD for a long while, with no solution in
sight. It is related to clang, so I decided to ask here for an opinion.

Thank you,

Yuri