[cfe-dev] Could we emit inline virtual member functions as available_externally when there's a key function (same as vtable and debug info)?

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 12:51:08 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Piotr Padlewski <piotr.padlewski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, my bad - there was a problem with available_externally vtables that
> we were unable to generate when there was a inline virtual function.

Ah, I've found the code and some of the comments for that - do you remember
the details or have pointers to the related threads/reviews/etc that came
to that conclusion?

Could we not emit the inline functions as linkonce_odr as usual and then
emit the available_externally vtable on top of that. Presumably once we do
all the optimization and drop the vtable, any of these inline virtual
functions that haven't got any devirtualized calls to them will disappear
due to lacking any reference holding them alive.

It'd bloat object files a bit, but only in the cases where there's an
optimization win - right?

But I guess there's a reason that doesn't work/wasn't implemented.

- David