[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] GitHub anyone?

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 6 14:55:03 PDT 2016

>> - if the tests work, then do a "git merge --squash" to master.  TBD: which commit message(s) should be used?  First commit? Last commit? Pull Request description?
> This point is where I don't understand why we need the reviewer or the system to do the squashing. I think it is fair to ask the developer to do the squashing before submitting the patch (he can still maintain a non-squashed branch on his local machine). After all if we do not want all the intermediate and fixup commits in the final history, why would the reviewer want to read them?
>
> - Matthias

A common reason is review commentary.  Suppose I have my private github
fork.  I pushed a single commit to a feature branch on that github fork,
then I opened a pull request.  Someone reviews it, and I need to make a
change.

Well, the change is "public" now, as it was part of a pull request. That
means rewriting history with an amend is generally discouraged.  If I go
to a different branch, then I think that means I need a different pull
request.  So I add a commit to the existing branch, and let the
maintainer do the squash.