[cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

Kim Gräsman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 6 08:10:53 PDT 2016

I haven't followed the entire thread closely, and I'm not directly
involved with LLVM/Clang.

However, we recently made the move with IWYU from Google Code to
GitHub. IWYU is similar in process to Clang (review for new
submissions, incremental development, etc), and I thought I'd share
some experience:

- We eventually invented our own infrastructure to get mailing list
notifications on issues and pull requests. I'm surprised this isn't
part of GitHub's service offering, I have a nagging feeling it is and
we missed something :-)

- The Pull Request UI in GitHub is pretty painful for LLVM-style code
reviews. It's hard to keep a working review flow going with multiple
revisions. I'm guessing you'll stick with Phabricator for code
reviews, but I've seen enough people in this thread speaking in favor
of GitHub's PR model that you may want to try it out a few times
before committing to it. Using Git at large and PRs instead of patches
for code submissions is much more fluid, however, so we're pretty
happy overall.

FWIW,
- Kim