[cfe-dev] Alternative FixItHints

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 11:59:35 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Manuel Klimek via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:59 PM David Blaikie via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> I think the general idea in Clang has been that fixits on a warning must
>> be behavior-preserving
>>

> Typo-correction is not behavior preserving, though?

We do not issue typo-correction FixItHints on warnings. (Well, actually, I
think we have a single warning that does this, but it's a bug.)

(because we must recover from errors (and warnings can be errors) as if the
>> fixit were applied, so that downstream diagnostics/fixits are applicable).
>> We use notes to express other fixit alternatives (or any non-behavior
>> preserving fixits if there's no behavior-preserving fixit we care to give).
>> Should we not be using notes as alternatives in the include fixer tool?

+1

This is our usual approach for the case where there are multiple possible
fixes: one note per possible approach, with the FixItHints for that
approach attached to that note. Is there some reason why this doesn't apply
in your case?