[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

Mehdi Amini via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 11:31:25 PDT 2016

> On Jun 1, 2016, at 11:18 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 1 June 2016 at 17:02, John Criswell <jtcriswel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you have a set of volunteers lined up to do such a migration? Getting
>> people willing to do the migration will obviously be key, and that was the
>> one thing I didn't see in the original email.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Well, first we need to know if people are in favour, then if the
> migration won't bring any serious problem, and then we can think of a
> migration plan. :)
>
> So far, it seems people are mostly in favour, with a few that reported
> being locked into SVN. I had anticipated that, and have proposed
> GitHub's SVN integration, which allows read-write access, so it should
> be mostly ok. We need more tests on that side to be sure, though.
>
> The biggest problem we're facing right now is how to sync the repos.
> The existing llvm-repos format with all projects as sub-modules seem
> to be a good candidate, but I still haven't seen a consensus on how
> we'd do that.
>
> About the migration plan, most people seem to agree a step-by-step
> process is necessary.

I personnally disagree with that, see below.

> So, first we move to git-only, possibly with
> sub-modules

If you move to git-only without the rest of the infrastructure/scripts, we're losing the convenience we have today with svn, and the "user experience" will not be so great. We may face resistance to this change.
I advocate to first set it up till it reaches the point of "good enough" in term of usability before actually migrating.

> , then we move to GitHub/Lab/BB,

It means we first need to host our git, write the tooling around it, to then migrate to github. I don't see the benefit over migrating directly to github: if people have to change their configuration, better have one single change.

> then we move Phab to
> GitHub merge requests, etc.

Phab to GitHub merge requests is a totally separate discussion IMO, and this discussion can happen after a successful move.

> Regarding volunteers, I haven't yet asked around yet, but I'm sure we
> have enough interested people to help. If everything else fails, I'm
> more than happy to do all of that myself. Though, I'd have to learn a
> lot more about sub-modules than I know today, which is effectively
> nothing. :)

I'll be happy to throw manpower into tooling/infrastructure to make it happen.

--
Mehdi