[cfe-dev] Using build clang on Mac OS

Piotr Padlewski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 17:42:15 PDT 2016

Hi,
the question os mostly addressed to Apple folks.

I am having some issues with clang compiled on Mac OS. First thing is the
search path for libc++ - running llvm+clang from build bin on basic c++ file
results in preprocessor errors because clang can't find libc++. It seems
that the main problem is that the default installed clang with libc++ with
XCode is somewhere
in Application, and build clang is trying to find it somewhere in /usr/bin.

Building clang with libcxx and libcxxabi solves the problem, but then all
the libc++ fails with error like
clang-3.9: error: no such file or directory:
'/Users/prazek/llvm/projects/libcxx/test/support/filesystem_dynamic_test_helper.py"'.

I would like to not compile libc++ every time when I clear the build.
So I feel that there should be either good documentation for how to set it
up on mac, or the default behaviour should not be so crappy. This makes me
a little bit sad
because I would not expect to have problems like this on mac.

Piotr