[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [llvm-foundation] Sequential ID Git hook

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 8 09:18:53 PDT 2016

On 8 July 2016 at 03:14, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:
> I could see wanting to compare data from master and a release branch.  If
> that means sequential IDs need to work across branches, then we're back to
> needing a fancier solution than 'rev-list –count'.

How would you do this in SVN anyway?

Branch commits are inter-twined with trunk commits, and comparing them
numerically doesn't yield the results you expect.

At least in Git, the history is tied up via "parent" and not via
sequential IDs, so you can actually walk the path.

Sequential numbers are only meaningful for linear histories. Branches,
whether on Git or Svn break that promise.

If we make LNT work with Git "as Git", then all problems are solved.
And meanwhile, we get to work with LNT "as SVN" via rev-list --count.

cheers,
--renato