[cfe-dev] clang-tidy/clang-query issues

Manuel Klimek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 7 05:39:12 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 8:31 AM Andre-Marcel Hellmund via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi Clang-Guys,
>
> I recently started to look into the clang-tools to enforce coding
> guidelines for our development group. Therefore, I played around with
> clang-tidy and clang-format (version 3.8 and trunk from Monday), however
> ran into a two problems. Before I dive deeper into the code details of
> both tools, I would like to check with you for known issues or hints.
>
> 1) While the compilation of the code using CMake (ninja) works fine,
> results in an error that a header, omp.h, could not be found. Is this a
> known bug for clang-tidy or might this be caused by a defect in CMake?

This is really hard to diagnose without more info.

> 2) Performing a simple AST match (reduced from the clang-tidy check
> 'readability-identifier-naming'), that is,
>
> fieldDecl(isPublic()).bind("public_member")
>
> results in incorrect matches meaning that privately declared members or
> public type definitions of std containers like const_iterator are
> matched. Interestingly, I was not yet able to reproduce those errors
> with simplified test cases. Are there some known issues with the AST
> matchers that could fit my description?

The only known issue is that it's often hard to intuitively understand why
things are in the AST. It would be great to have a smaller repro of your
problem, otherwise it's really hard to help.