[cfe-dev] Sequential ID Git hook

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 5 03:44:59 PDT 2016

Quick re-cap.

After a few rounds, not only the "external server" proposal got
obliterated as totally unnecessary, but the idea that we may even need
a hook at all is now challenged.

Jared's idea to use "git describe" is in line with previous proposals
to use rev-list --count and to do so only up to the previous tag, but
all in one nice and standard little feature.

There were concerns by applying one tag per commit, but most of them
offered weak evidence. However, if "describe" can cover all our needs,
there is no point in even discussing tags.

Just for reference, GitHub *does* have an SVN interface [1], and you
can already checkout a specific revision with "svn checkout -r NNN
repo", which *is already* using "git rev-list --count".

This means that, for SVN based bisects, using GitHub will make it
*completely transparent* for SVN users. You can also base your
releases off an SVN view of the Git repo.

So, to clear up this discussion and finish my proposal to move to
GitHub, my final questions, only to those that *want* SVN
compatibility:

1. Is there anything in the SVN view of GitHub that *doesn't* work for
you? (ie. same as using "rev-list --count")

2. If so, can "git describe" solve the problem?

3. If not, please describe, in details, why <<your alternative
solution>> would be the *only* way forward.

I'll let this sit for a few days, and if no one has any serious issue,
I'll write up the final proposal and start the voting process with the
Foundation.

cheers,
--renato

[1] https://github.com/blog/626-announcing-svn-support