[cfe-dev] Clang should natively support fortran

Ed Maste via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 4 10:33:26 PDT 2016

On 23 June 2016 at 05:27, Dimitry Andric <dimitry at andric.com> wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2016, at 01:36, Renato Golin via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 June 2016 at 23:15, Yuri via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>> I guess the real question is: what is the best replacement of an unwind API?
>>> Does clang/llvm supply it? Or what is the best solution of this problem?
>>
>> LLVM has a sub-project called libunwind (same as the other one, sorry
>> for the bad naming).
>>
>> http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/libunwind/trunk/
>>
>> It's fairly active and mostly functional. I believe FreeBSD may
>> already use it (or some other non-gcc one) internally with Clang, so
>> you should just try to find it. It works pretty well with Compiler-RT
>> and libc++, and I believe both are also aready being used by Clang in
>> FreeBSD.
>
> Yes, Ed imported it into FreeBSD head 8 months ago:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/contrib/llvm/projects/libunwind/
>
> However, it is currently only used for AArch64 and RISC-V.

Yes, the plan is to use it on all architectures eventually. One open
issue with LLVM's libunwind is that it requres more stack -- see the
thread at http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-January/094202.html.

Joerg Sonnenberger has a heavily modified version of LLVM libunwind in
NetBSD, which excludes the HP unwind interface and requires much less
stack space. It does not support ARM EHABI though -- NetBSD doesn't
use EHABI it seems.