[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] Sequential ID Git hook

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 4 04:13:09 PDT 2016

On 4 July 2016 at 06:01, NAKAMURA Takumi via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> "git-describe -t" works also for lw tags.

But it doesn't work if there are no tags, I just tested on LLVM and I get:

$ git describe
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.

Should be easy enough to create the tags on each branching point, though.

"describe" also seems to be available at least since Git 1.9, so it
should be pretty safe.

And since tagging *every* commit doesn't scale for long ranges, and
anything else will need scripting on the client side, I think we can
get rid *completely* of any server side hook, and let the client side
scripts deal with the output of "git describe".

Or am I just too optimistic?

cheers,
--renato