[cfe-dev] UTF-8 vs. UTF-16 code locations

Milian Wolff via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 25 09:52:49 PST 2016

On Monday, January 25, 2016 5:40:01 PM CET Manuel Klimek wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 5:58 PM Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > On Monday, January 25, 2016 4:49:39 PM CET Manuel Klimek wrote:

> > mapping

> > number of

> > contents of

> > call. Is

> > SourceManager::getCharacterData -

> > > Don't you already have the file as utf-8 so you can hand it into clang?
> >
> > Is
> >
> > > there a reason not to get the line out of that format?
> >
> > Only those files I pass in via CXUnsavedFile I have access to. All others
> > are
> > opened directly by clang. Considering that Clang already has access to the
> > string contents of any file in the TU, that seems like the best approach
> > for
> > me to access it, no?
> >
> > From my quick glance over https://code.woboq.org/llvm/clang/include/clang/
> > Basic/SourceManager.h.html#clang::SourceManager
> > <https://code.woboq.org/llvm/clang/include/clang/Basic/SourceManager.h.htm
> > l#clang::SourceManager>>
> > I see the following potential candidates:
> >   SourceManager::getBufferData
> >   SourceManager::getCharacterData
> >   SourceManager::getBuffer + MemoryBuffer API
> >
> > Wouldn't those fill the gap? Or do you think I (and any other IDE) should
> > duplicate the code to find the contents of a given CXFile inside the TU,
> > based
> > on either the CXUnsavedFile or an mmapped file from disk.
>
> I'd have expected that you just read the files from disk yourself. I'd
> expect that to give fewer different code paths to do the same thing, so I'd
> hope it reduces complexity. But in reality I have no idea what I'm talking
> about as I don't know your codebase :)  I don't think that those design
> decisions can or should be made for all IDEs, so I'm not sure what other
> IDEs do is really relevant.

We do read the file ourselves when the user opens a file in the editor, but
that is only a small fraction of those files that get parsed via
clang_parseTranslationUnit2. The majority of files will be read directly from
disk from clang itself. The results we obtain from traversing the AST is then
cached, most notably this stores ranges that need to be highlighted if a file
gets opened eventually.

So that said, would you object against making any of the SourceManager::* API
public via a new clang-c function? Assuming of course they do what I expect
them to do, i.e. give me access to the file buffer (at a given position) that
clang saw while parsing the TU? It would certainly make this task more
efficient to implement for us.

Thanks
--
Milian Wolff