[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Enforcing pointer type alignment in Clang

Pete Cooper via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 14 13:08:22 PST 2016

Hi John

Thanks for the very detailed explanation.  I’m not a language expert, but i felt like i could understand what you want to do here.

In particular, as a user, I’m surprised it doesn’t already work (in the standard) they way you said it should.  That is

 It is not undefined behavior to create a pointer that is less aligned
 than its pointee type.  Instead, it is only undefined behavior to
 access memory through a pointer that is less aligned than its pointee
 type.

I thought the above was how it should work now.  Its the behaviour i expect when I write code already, and as a user i’d hope that this continues to be what we implement.

So yeah, +1 from me.

Thanks,
Pete